Residential Dumpster Rental Saves the Day!
It’s rainy season here in South Kansas City and Overland Park, and that means it’s prime time for basement flooding. When large amounts of rain falls, the water finds its way into home basements through cracks in the foundation and basement windows.
A flooded basement is a real nightmare for homeowners because it means not only do you have an unexpected home repair to do, but you also have to remove and throw away all the water-damaged items in your basement. And, you also have to find a way to throw away these items in bulk. Your regular trash pick-up just won’t cut it. Residential dumpster rental is the answer to your problems!
Rent a Dumpster for Water Damage Restoration
If your home sustained water damage from heavy spring rains in Lenexa, Belton, or Grandview, you’ll want to quickly remove the damaged materials to prevent the growth of mold or the spread of musty odors throughout your house.
Building materials that often get damaged in flooding are drywall, insulation, and carpet or other flooring. Residential dumpster rental is a convenient way to have these items hauled away from your home after you complete your project.
The most common way of removing drywall damaged during basement flooding is to cut across the wall, parallel to the floor, and remove the portion of soggy drywall. However, water wicks, or climbs, upward on the drywall, so it is a good idea to remove a couple of feet higher than the water level to make sure you don’t leave behind any wet material. Material that stays damp after basement flooding can grow dangerous black mold.
Follow these easy steps to remove water-soaked drywall.
- Measure up from the floor to the height of the wall area you need to remove. Mark a straight line at this height all the way around the room. The easiest way to do this is to use a chalk line, but you could also use a yardstick and level in a pinch.
- Use a utility knife (or a heavy-duty box cutter) to score the surface of the drywall along the straight line you drew. You won’t be cutting all the way through the drywall at this step, just a little over halfway through.
- Use a sledgehammer or a regular hammer to knock a small hole in the damaged drywall, below your score line. Demolition isn’t as violent looking as those home-renovation shows, so you don’t need to use all your strength to take out the damaged wall.
- Gently pull the drywall back from the studs. If your score line was deep enough, you should be able to remove the drywall, section by section, leaving nice, clean lines to hang new drywall.
- After your damaged drywall is removed and put in your temporary dumpster, pull out any damp insulation from your walls. Even if it feels only slightly damp, as a precaution, you’ll want to remove it anyway.
- Airing out and drying any remaining moisture is key to preventing mold growth. Place fans around the area of flooding for a few days after your demolition to help the area dry completely. Once it’s dry, you can re-insulate and hang new drywall.
Both the drywall and insulation should be discarded in a temporary dumpster because your regular trash pick-up likely will not accept it. Materials like carpet and underlayment can go in your temporary dumpster, too! Simply roll up the large pieces and place them in the dumpster to save space for the rest of the items you need to throw away after basement flooding.
Residential Dumpster Rental for Flood Damaged Furniture
A flooded basement that requires clean-up can be an emotional time. It’s even more emotional when personal possessions and keepsakes are damaged and must be thrown out. If your finished basement flooded enough to damage your furniture, you will need to discard it, too.
It’s not easy to throw away that cardboard storage box of your child’s elementary school artwork, or dispose of the comfy sofa you inherited from your grandmother. But if these loved items were ruined in flooding, you will need to dispose of them.
You can take comfort in knowing that residential dumpster rental from Small Haul Containers can help take the sting out of the process, at least a little. Our convenient online reservations and same-day delivery can quickly get you on your way to normalcy in your home.
Just like with drywall and other building materials that are damaged in basement flooding, you will need to dispose of other items, like furniture, within the first 48 hours to prevent mold growth. Our dumpsters feature conveniently-placed doors that will face your home for easy, walk-in style loading—no need to lift heavy objects, like water-logged furniture, over your head.
How Do I Find a Dumpster Rental Near Me?
There are a surprising number of businesses that rent out temporary dumpsters, but when it comes to getting a dumpster on your timeline in Lenexa, Shawnee, or Stilwell, Small Haul Containers is a great choice.
We started out with just a couple of temporary dumpsters. Our customers liked working with us so much, we expanded our container rental and disposal service so we could better assist residents in Johnson County and Jackson County.
To rent a dumpster from us, you can either call us at 913-991-1595, or visit our website at www.smallhaulkc.com, to make your reservation. With six temporary dumpster sizes to choose from, we have one to suit your project.
After you make your reservation, we will deliver it to your home. Before placing your dumpster on your driveway or other solid surface, we lay a protective layer down to keep your property safe and secure.
When you’re done filling your temporary dumpster, we pick it up and dispose of the contents for you.
Get a Temporary Dumpster from Small Haul Containers
Having a plan in the event of water damage in your home will set you up for success when or if it happens. Even if your basement isn’t flooding right now, save our contact information just in case! Call us at 913-991-1595 or visit us at www.smallhaulkc.com.